Kachumber is the pico de gallo of Indian food. A simple chopped salad made with cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lemon juice, a few spices and salt.
It makes the perfect cooling side dish for any meal.
Pair it with Indian curries and dals or make a huge bowl of it and eat it with hummus and pita chips at your next summer gathering.
I make this salad often, especially in the summertime, as it is great with just about everything.
This salad is:
indian cucumber tomato onion salad (kachumber)
Yield 4-6 servings
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes chopped
- 1 1/2 large cucumber, chopped
- 4 red radishes, chopped
- 1 green chili, seeds removed chopped
- 4-5 mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- juice of 1 lemon
- black salt to taste (optional) Kala Namak Black Indian salt
- ground black pepper and salt to taste
- CHOP. Small chop all vegetables and combine in a large bowl.
- ROAST. Roast cumin powder in small dry skillet on medium heat, 1-2 minutes.
- DRESS. Add fresh lemon juice, cumin powder, salt, and pepper.
- TOSS. Toss the salad well to make sure all ingredients are well distributed.
- CHECK. Check for seasoning and add more if desired.
- SERVE & ENJOY!
- For a creamy salad add some plain non-dairy yogurt
- Can substitute lemon with vinegar
Courses sides, salads