This side dish has the best of both worlds—it’s a little savory and a little sweet. Since we eat with our eyes first, it doesn’t hurt that this looks absolutely stunning plated.
My husband is a fan and the first time I made this recipe he ate 10. Not kidding.
I like to serve it along with my mashed potatoes and gravy recipe for a comforting and warm dinner.
glazed carrots with roasted hazelnuts
Yield 5-6 servings
- 2 large bunches organic carrot, stems on
- 1 teaspoon grape seed oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon maldon salt Maldon Sea Salt Flakes
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts
- Fresh ground pepper
- PEEL. Wash and peel carrots with a vegetable grater and remove tops leaving a bit of the green at the top of each carrot.
- HEAT. In a large skillet, heated on medium-high, add 1 teaspoon grape seed oil, 1 tablespoon vegan butter, and 2 mashed garlic cloves.
- SIMMER. Add carrots and toss to coat. Add in juice and zest of 1 orange, 2 sprigs of rosemary, and water. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium.
- COVER. Cover pan with lid and cook for 8-10 minutes depending on the size of carrots. They should be fork tender.
- FINISH. Remove lid and drizzle with maple syrup. Cook for 2 more minutes un-covered or until the maple syrup starts to caramelize.
- GARNISH. Plate and garnish with toasted hazelnuts and a flakey salt like Maldon salt.
- SERVE. Serve hot with some fresh ground pepper.
- Spread out hazelnuts on a baking pan and bake at 350 until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and let cool. With a rolling pin lightly crush them on a cutting board.
- Maldon sea salt is a larger flaky, crunchy salt that gives dishes an elegant finish. This salt is optional and you can use any fine sea salt or kosher salt in its place.
Courses dinner, sides