This is a recipe I have been making for years. I shot a video of it in 2012 for my first Youtube channel, “Lalaraw,” that is still up on Youtube today. Back then I was eating almost exclusively raw and enjoyed this soup in its raw form. In the years since, I have tweeked it a bit by adding a few new ingredients and now, more times than not, I warm it on the stove top.
I also believe that tomato soup was originally created so one could dip a grilled cheese sandwich into it. Right? That’s how I always remember it as a kid anyways. As an adult, I skipped the dipping part and simply created vegan, grilled cheese croutons. Brilliant.
Trust me, this recipe might change your life.
This recipe is:
tomato basil soup
Yield 1-2 servings
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in water
- 2 medjool dates, seeds removed and soaked
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- salt & pepper to taste
grilled cheese croutons
- 1 teaspoon grape seed oil or vegan butter (optional)
- 2- 4 slices of bread of your choice
- 2-4 slices vegan cheese (I use "Follow Your Heart" vegan cheddar)
- SOAK. In a small bowl, soak sun-dried tomatoes and medjool dates (seeds removed) in water for up to 2 hours to soften.
- CHOP. Chop tomatoes and basil.
- COMBINE. In a high speed blender combine tomatoes, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, medjool dates, garlic, tomato paste, cayenne, and 1 cup almond milk and blend until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Taste and add salt to taste. Blend again.
- HEAT. Transfer blended soup to a medium saucepan and heat on medium-low heat.
Grilled Cheese Croutons
- MELT. In a non-stick frying pan, heat 1 teaspoon grape seed oil or vegan butter (optional) on medium-high heat.
- GRILL. Take two slices of bread and add a few slices of vegan cheese between them, then put the cheese sandwich in the prying pan. Cook until golden brown on each side and cheese has melted.
- CUT. Once your sandwich has cooled a bit, cut into small squares on a cutting board.
- SERVE. Pour warm soup into a bowl, add fresh ground pepper, and stack grilled cheese croutons on top.
Courses lunch, dinner