I love anything bite size… and vegan, of course. I also love anything that plates beautifully and this recipe fits the bill. I have been making these mini quiches for years and they are a favorite among my friends.
Just this year, I started using aquafaba in this recipe and it has resulted in a more fluffy, egg-like consistency. My quiche recipe is now complete.
This recipe is:
- crispy on the outside
mini vegan quiche
Yield 12 quiches
- 2 cups chickpea flour Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon neutral oil, for cooking shallots
- 1 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast Premium Nutritional Yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of thyme
- pinch of smoked salt (optional) Smoked Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon plum vinegar Ume Plum Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup vegan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cup frozen spinach, drained
- 2 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced into 12 pieces
- liquid from one can organic garbanzo beans (BPA free can)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tarter Cream of Tartar
- 1 package filo dough, thawed
- 1/2 melted vegan butter, for brushing
- cooking spray to grease muffin pan
- COMBINE. In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients: chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, paprika, smoked salt, and thyme. Mix dry ingredients well, then add in wet ingredients: olive oil, vinegar, water, spinach, and half of your vegan cheese. Whisk until well-combined. Set aside.
- STOVETOP. On the stovetop, heat 1 tablespoon neutral oil on medium/high heat then add minced shallots. Sauté until they are lightly browned. Remove from pan and mix shallots into to quiche batter. In the same pan, on low heat, add your tomato slices and lightly cook, flipping once until they become slightly soft (10 minutes at the most).
- AQUAFABA. While tomatoes are cooking drain the liquid from a can of garbanzo beans into a bowl and add 1 teaspoon of cream of tarter. With a hand mixer, blend for 2-3 minutes until you it creates a fluffy substance. Add three tablespoons of the aquafaba to your quiche batter and combine well. Set aside.
- PREPARE. Take 4 sheets of thawed filo dough gently stacked on top of each other and brush lightly with melted vegan butter. You don't need much because it will soak through. With a pizza cutter score the sheets into evenly cut squares.
- PREHEAT. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- FILL. In a lightly greased muffin pan, add filo dough squares to create your quiche crust with the edges fanning out at the top. Use a couple of squares in each muffin cup. Once you have put filo dough in all 12 cups, fill each cup half way with the quiche batter. Add a layer of cheese with remaining vegan cheese, then fill each cup to just the top of pan with remaining batter. Nothing like a cheesy surprise in the middle of your quiche.
- FINISH. Add a sliced, cooked tomato to the top of quiche and lightly press down so the batter slightly come through holes in tomato.
- OVEN. Cook for 30 minutes, turning the pan at 15 minutes.
- COOL. Let cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve and ENJOY!