Lately, all things soy have gotten a bad wrap. I still enjoy it in moderation and personally am not overly worried about all the hype. Asian cultures have been eating it and enjoying tofu for thousands of years. When I don’t make it myself, I always buy certified organic and non-gmo. The thing I love about tofu is that it has a low calorie count, is high in protein, takes on any flavor you marinate it in, and is filling & satisfying. It’s so versatile and can be used in such a huge variety of ways. I don’t know many vegans who don’t enjoy a good tofu scramble from time to time.
I learned this method of preparing tofu while I was in Rouxbe cooking school as one of my assignments. I played around with the recipe for a while, until I found something that made my taste buds happy.
This tofu goes well on sandwiches, in soups, as a salad topper, or just as a snack.
This recipe is:
- a little crispy
- a little smokey
Sliced tofu ready for marinade.
Tofu out of the oven
smokey baked tofu
Yield 14-16 slices
- 10 pieces firm tofu (approx. 1 block)
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- spray oil for pan (or parchment paper)
- freshly ground black pepper
- DRAIN. Remove tofu from package, wrap in a paper towel, place on a plate, and put a heavy object on top of it for 20-30 minutes to drain liquid. I often use a heavy cast iron frying pan.
- PREHEAT. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- SEASON. Prepare the marinade in a small bowl, by combining the tamari, garlic powder, liquid smoke, and freshly-ground black pepper.
- SLICE. Remove the drained tofu from the paper towel and cut into squares about 1/2 inch thick. Place squares into a shallow casserole dish and pour the marinade over the tofu. Allow to marinate for 10-20 minutes.
- BAKE. Lightly spray a sheet pan with oil and layout tofu slabs evenly on the tray. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Flip, and cook another 10-15 minutes until the tofu is browned around the edges.
- COOL. Remove tofu from the oven and let cool.
- Serve and ENJOY!
- Store leftover tofu in a sealed container in the fridge to use for future meals.
Courses Sides, toppings, snacks